About Oakwood Psychology Services
Oakwood House was founded in the 1990s by Dr Barbara Douglas, a Chartered Counselling Psychologist.
Dr Douglas was awarded an agreement with Stockport NHS to provide the Adult Community Eating Disorder Service in 1997. Oakwood has successfully provided this service for the NHS ever since.
In 2006 Caroline Vermes, a BACP-accredited psychotherapist, took on management at Oakwood. The organisation has since developed:
- A comprehensive placement programme for trainee counsellors and psychologists
- CPD programmes and supervision for qualified therapists
- Specialist psychological therapy programmes, training, and staff teams for a number of NHS, Public Health and private-sector services
- Psychoeducational group programmes for well-being and personal growth
- Psychological therapy options for private clients
- An online and telephone counselling service
- Support to numerous research studies for improving the effectiveness of therapy.
In 2014 we launched Oakwood Psychology Services, a social enterprise dedicated to the provision of affordable psychological therapies, as well as counselling research, and counsellor training and development. We are proud of our fabulous therapists and administration team, who have supported thousands of people to achieve healthier, happier lives. We are proud to be an NHS partner organisation. We are also honoured to have been granted Accredited Service status by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy in 2017.
Our Mission and Values
Mission: Counselling psychology practice, training and research
Oakwood Psychology Services is a not-for-profit social enterprise. Our mission is to advance psychological knowledge and well-being for the public benefit. We do this through the direct provision of specialist psychological therapies under contract to public and private corporate customers. We invest in our mission by supporting counsellor training and research. We do this through the provision of case managed training placements and continuing professional development opportunities undertaken by our staff and volunteers.
Vision and Values
Oakwood Psychology Services takes pride in being a place where our clients, staff and trainees thrive in a professional yet friendly environment. We offer learning experiences for all who are involved with our work. Providing therapeutic services that are responsive, flexible and ethical, our aim is to help clients, staff and trainees develop their best potential. Our vision is to play our part in promoting a society characterised by compassion, connection, and equal opportunities.
Counselling and psychotherapy provided by Oakwood Psychology Services is Accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). All practitioners adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions (2018).
The fundamental values of counselling and psychotherapy include:
- Respecting human rights and dignity
- Protecting the safety of clients
- Ensuring the integrity of practitioner-client relationships
- Enhancing the quality of professional knowledge and its application
- Alleviating personal distress and suffering
- Fostering a sense of self that is meaningful to the person(s) concerned
- Increasing personal effectiveness
- Enhancing the quality of relationships between people
- Appreciating the variety of human experience and culture
- Striving for the fair and adequate provision of counselling and psychotherapy services
General Data Protection Regulation
As an ICO-registered data controller, Oakwood Psychology Services is committed to respecting and protecting the privacy of all personal information shared with us in the course of our work. We handle, store and process personal information fairly and lawfully in line with the Data Protection Act and the General Data Protection Regulation. You can read and download our Privacy Notice here.